New safety precautions introduced after recent robberies (VIDEO)

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem Editor
September 6, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories, Video

UPDATE: Sept. 20, 2013 Decatur Police make arrests, reports the DecaturMetro blog. *... Read More »

An Afternoon at Java Monkey (VIDEO)

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem Editor
August 29, 2013
Filed under Lifestyle, Video

You’ve most likely seen them. While walking down Church St. – in what’s considered “the heart” of Decatur – guitar strumming, energetic voices, and a lot of laughter is not unusual. For the teenagers producing the sounds bouncing off the outdoor walls of Java Monkey’s patio,... Read More »

Students to take optional EOCT retest due to low scores

Audrey Baxter, Scribbler Web Editor
August 15, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

... Read More »

Seniors meet professional musician Tyler Ward

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
January 23, 2013
Filed under Student Life, Top Stories

It’s not every day that you get to meet the person you think you’ll be with forever. For senior Hannah Williams, it required waiting outside musical artist and YouTube sensation Tyler Ward’s van after his show in Atlanta this past Saturday night. “We... Read More »

Former DHS band member continues to march as a UGA Redcoat

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
November 2, 2012
Filed under Lifestyle

Former Decatur student Chloe Moore lifts her instrument to her mouth as she gazes out into the crowd, only seeing a massive blur of red. The signal of the head conductor catches her attention, and she tenses up, ready to play. The college freshmen plays clarinet in the University of Georgia marching... Read More »

Bowling, anyone?

Bowling, anyone?

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
August 22, 2012
Filed under Student Life

Last week, the Scribbler Staff headed down to Funtime Bowl to show their skills on the lanes. “This is the third time I’ve been to cosmic bowling with the staff, and this is the year it’s been the best,” Editor Sam Mclemore said. Of course, the night... Read More »

Local author releases new book

Local author releases new book

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
May 23, 2012
Filed under News

When you first pick up the young adult novel Being Friends with Boys and read it, don’t be shocked if you drop it on your foot when you realize it’s a book that takes place right next store to where you live. For Terra McVoy, writer of the book and former manager of the local bookstore Little... Read More »

Junior moving to Europe

Junior moving to Europe

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
May 23, 2012
Filed under Student Life

On June 10th, junior Aislinn Dillon will leave the streets of Decatur and move to another part of the world: Denmark. “I have the chance to move in with my Dad,” Dillon said. “It’s a great opportunity, because I’ve missed Europe ever since I’ve left. Last summer when I visited I realized... Read More »

Corsages, pretty dresses… and T.I.?

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
May 18, 2012
Filed under Student Life

Was prom the night to remember? For junior Jeanelle Seals, it was. Seals was in the restaurant Shout, located near Piedmont park, when she and her friends heard some exciting news from their limo driver; the celebrity rapper T.I. was about to enter the restaurant they were in. “Our driver knew... Read More »

Ready, set, run

Ready, set, run

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
March 8, 2012
Filed under News

The annual Tour deCatur race is celebrating one special thing this year; their tenth anniversary. On March 24, 2,000 runners are expected to run in either the 5K race or the 1-mile fun run. This year, the Decatur Education Foundation, to which much of the proceeds of the race go to, is adding a fundraising... Read More »

The “Ultimate” player

The “Ultimate” player

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
January 20, 2012
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Catching flying objects may be be difficult for some people, but not for sophomore Sam Diffin. Diffin recently started a team for a sport that will be a first for Decatur: Ultimate Frisbee. Diffin first found his love for the sport when he was in seventh grade. He has tried baseball, basketball and... Read More »

Newsome wins Sharpie contest

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
January 10, 2012
Filed under Student Life

Sophomore Isabel Newsome won’t have to worry about being on a low budget for the next couple months; she won second place in the “Sharpie Hall of Fame” contest. Newsome’s prize was $500 in Sharpie products and a $1,000 cash prize.For... Read More »

Freshman pursues music career

Audrey Baxter, Carpe Diem staff
September 12, 2011
Filed under Student Life

Freshman Noel Hamilton is very passionate about one thing. Music.“[When I was a kid,] I would dress up in a princess dress and go around the house singing random songs that I made up," Hamilton said.  Not only does she have a good time singing songs, but she also has fun writing them. "I can... Read More »