Filed under Student Life

Newsome wins Sharpie contest

Sophomore Isabel Newsome won’t have to worry about being on a low budget for the next couple months; she won second place in the “Sharpie Hall of Fame” contest. Newsome’s prize was $500 in Sharpie products and a $1,000 cash prize.For Newsome, the idea to enter the contest came quite spontaneously. “I was at Office Depot, and I saw an ad for sharpie that said ‘Draw and win cash,’” Newsome said. “I was low on money at the time and thought ‘Why not?’”The purpose of the contest was to promote the “Sharpie Notebook” by “uncapping creativity.”  There were two phases of judging in the contest, one through the private eye of the Sharpie company, and the other through the public voting.Newsome did not expect to win the contest, “I was really surprised! It’s one of those kind of things where you think, ‘Oh, that would be cool if I won,’ but you never actually think you will,” Newsome said.

As far as what to do with the money, Newsome hasn’t decided. “I’m really not sure what I’m going to do with $500 dollars worth of sharpies, or the money,” Newsome said. “[I might] save [the money] for college, buy a laptop or put it in the bank.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Newsome wins Sharpie contest”

1. DHS Student Wins $1,000 In Sharpie Doodle Contest on January 16th, 2012 9:26 am

[...] told 3Ten Convergence, the Decatur High student media site, she entered the contest [...]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*